- Nationality: British
- Height: 1.97m
- Weight: 150kg
An old-school strongman – when they used to be big and hairy. Well, maybe they weren’t all hairy – but Capes certainly was. A bear of a man. Originally a two-time Commonwealth champion shot put thrower Capes made the move into Strongman and proved to be a dominating force, winning World’s Strongest Man twice.
In retirement Capes has remained actively involved in the sport, often appearing as a guest referee or commentator. But all else pales in comparison to the man’s bird breeding skills; which are apparently unrivalled!
Geoff Capes Workout Plan
Geoff Capes, an iconic British strongman known for his dominating presence and impressive achievements, had a rigorous workout plan that contributed to his success in the sport. If you’re inspired by Capes and want to incorporate his training methods into your own routine, here’s a glimpse into Geoff Capes’ workout plan.
- Strength Training: Geoff Capes focused on building raw strength to excel in strongman competitions. Prioritize compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, and rows. Lift heavy weights with low to moderate repetitions to develop overall strength and power.
- Event-Specific Training: To prepare for the unique events in strongman competitions, dedicate specific training sessions to simulate those events. This may include exercises such as log presses, atlas stone lifts, farmer’s walks, tire flips, and truck pulls. Focus on mastering the techniques and building the necessary strength for each event.
- Grip Strength Training: Strong grip strength is vital in strongman competitions. Incorporate exercises that target grip strength, such as farmer’s walks with heavy weights, axle deadlifts, thick bar holds, and plate pinches. Gradually increase weights and focus on maintaining a firm grip.
- Conditioning and Cardio: Strongman competitions require endurance and cardiovascular fitness. Include cardiovascular exercises like running, rowing, or cycling to improve your stamina and overall conditioning. High-intensity interval training (HIIT) can also be beneficial for simulating the intense bursts of effort required in strongman events.
- Core Training: A strong core is essential for stability and overall strength in strongman competitions. Incorporate exercises like planks, Russian twists, hanging leg raises, and weighted sit-ups to develop core strength. Focus on strengthening the abs, obliques, and lower back muscles.
- Rest and Recovery: Allow sufficient time for rest and recovery between intense training sessions. Adequate rest is crucial for muscle repair and growth. Listen to your body and ensure you’re getting enough sleep to support your training and overall well-being.
- Nutrition: Proper nutrition is essential for fueling your workouts and promoting recovery. Consume a well-balanced diet that includes lean protein sources, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Stay adequately hydrated to support your performance and muscle function.
It’s important to remember that Geoff Capes’ workout plan was tailored to his specific needs and goals as a professional strongman. If you’re new to strength training or strongman competitions, it’s recommended to work with a qualified coach or fitness professional to design a program that suits your individual needs and abilities.
By incorporating elements of Geoff Capes’ workout plan into your training routine, you can work towards developing exceptional strength, power, and performance. Embrace his strong and determined spirit as you strive to excel in the world of strongman competitions and achieve your fitness goals.