- Nationality: Lithuanian
- Height: 1.91m
- Weight: 170kg
Zydrunas Savickas, or Big Z to those of us incapable of pronouncing his name, is widely regarded as the statically strongest man that has ever lived. The owner of several world records during his career he is known for his massive log press and back breaking deadlift.
Big Z’s first success was in 1998 when he won the title of Lithuania’s Strongest Man. He has since gone on to hold the title of World’s Strongest Man three times (most recently in 2012) and dominate the Arnold Strongman Classic with a massive seven wins. Along with an almost endless list of strongman achievements, Z is also an experienced powerlifter, coming 2nd in the 125kg+ class at the IPF World Powerlifting Championships in 2000.
Zydrunas Savickas Workout Plan
If you’re in awe of Zydrunas Savickas, also known as Big Z, and his extraordinary strength and power, you might be curious about his workout plan. Savickas, widely regarded as one of the strongest men in the history of the sport, had a training regimen that focused on building incredible strength and mastering the key strongman events. Here’s a glimpse into Zydrunas Savickas’ workout plan:
- Heavy Compound Lifts: Savickas emphasized heavy compound lifts to build overall strength and power. Exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, and rows were the foundation of his training. He lifted exceptionally heavy weights with low to moderate repetitions to develop maximum strength.
- Log Press: Zydrunas Savickas was renowned for his massive log press. To excel in this event, incorporate log presses into your training routine. Start with lighter weights and focus on mastering the technique, gradually increasing the weight over time. Pay close attention to proper shoulder and core engagement for a powerful and controlled press.
- Deadlifts: Savickas was known for his back-breaking deadlifts. Include deadlift variations, such as conventional deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, and deficit deadlifts, in your training program. Focus on lifting heavy loads while maintaining proper form and technique to develop exceptional pulling power.
- Strongman Events: To prepare for strongman competitions, dedicate specific training sessions to simulate the key events. Incorporate exercises such as farmer’s walks, atlas stone lifts, tire flips, yoke walks, and truck pulls. Practice these events with increasing weights and focus on improving your speed, technique, and overall performance.
- Grip Strength Training: Strong grip strength is essential in strongman events. Incorporate grip-specific exercises, such as farmer’s walks with heavy dumbbells or using specialized grip training tools like grip strengtheners and thick barbell holds. Develop a powerful grip to excel in events like the Hercules Hold or carrying heavy objects.
- Core and Back Training: A strong core and back are vital for stability and overall strength in strongman events. Incorporate exercises like planks, Russian twists, hyperextensions, and weighted back extensions. Strengthening your core and back muscles will enhance your performance in events such as log lifts and deadlifts.
- Conditioning and Cardio: Strongman competitions require endurance and cardiovascular fitness. Include cardiovascular exercises like running, rowing, or cycling to improve your stamina and overall conditioning. High-intensity interval training (HIIT) can also be beneficial for simulating the intense bursts of effort required in strongman events.
- Recovery and Rest: Adequate rest and recovery are crucial to allow your body to adapt and grow stronger. Incorporate sufficient rest days into your training schedule, listen to your body, and prioritize sleep, proper nutrition, and hydration to support your recovery.
Remember, Zydrunas Savickas’ workout plan was tailored to his unique strengths, goals, and competitive requirements. If you’re new to strongman training, it’s essential to start gradually, work on building a solid foundation of strength, and seek guidance from a qualified coach or trainer to ensure proper form and technique.
By incorporating elements of Zydrunas Savickas’ workout plan into your training routine, you can work towards developing exceptional strength, power, and performance in the world of strongman. Embrace his dedication, focus, and unwavering determination as you strive to achieve your own personal best and reach new heights in your fitness journey.